Sunday, August 15, 2010

vampires, werewolves, shifters, oh my!

The movie Twilight turned me off anything involving vampires. I mean, although Robert Pattinson is VERY yummy, the vampires weren't portrayed as badass, at least that's what I thought. Plus I can't stand Kristen Stewart. C'mon woman, get rid of that depressed, druggie looking face and start smiling once in a while. Newsflash: when the director says "and scene", it means the camera has STOPPED rolling. I can't act and even I know that.
going off on a tangent.
In university a lot of students start to watch tv on their computer. I've watched the entire season of 8 Simple Rules, That 70s Show, The O.C, Ugly Betty, and House (and f.y.i my school marks were NOT affected, thank God). So in March my friend told me to start watching a show called True Blood. As soon as he told me it was about vampires, I refused to try it out.
HOWEVER
when I went away a week ago, the only shows the plane had that I was interested in was True Blood, so I decided to give it a chance. I fell in love after just watching ten minutes (and most shows are about 50 minutes long!). The show is truly badass, from the bloodsucking vampires and vulgar characters to even to the very erotic sex scenes (yes folks, this show is definitely rated 18A). It has a sexy, dark, and enigmous vibe to it that just makes you wonder what evil thing could happen next. Oh, and did I mention that almost every guy in the show is sexy? There's Bill Compton: the mysterious vampire who Sookie Stackhouse (the main character) falls in love with, Sam Merlotte: the owner of the restaurant Sookie waitresses, Jason Stackhouse: Sookie's brother, and my absolute favourite, vampire Eric Northman: The Sheriff of Louisiana. The gory scenes are what attracted me to the show but these men are what kept me watching (and of course, drooling).

Eric Northman: This vampire puts both Edward and Jacob to Shame
Now onto the women
Anna Paquin (canadian!) plays Sookie Stackhouse. Now, as much as I do love my canadians, there's something about Anna Paquin that just bugs me (and no, its not that gap in her teeth that when you meet her you accidentally blurt out "what gap?" when she asks you what time it is). If anyone finds out what's wrong with her, please let me know.
Tara (can't remember character's last name) is played by some actress whose name I honest to god can't remember. She's pretty cool in the first season but gets annoying...Yeah, that's pretty much all I have to say about her

My favourite character though has to be Lafayette, the gay black character who is the head chef at Merlottes. I don't know what I love about him more: the fact that he calls everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) a hooker or the fact that he does his makeup better than I do. For a gay guy, he's pretty hardcore.

so for those of you who have given up on vampires, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE just try to watch the first episode of season 1 of True Blood. I guarentee after those 50 minutes, you'll be begging for someone to suck your blood.

1 comment:

  1. When I rented the first season of True Blood last summer, I wasn't expecting to like it. I was hooked after the first episode :) I didn't think things in Bon Temps could get any weirder than they did in season 2, but this season wins the cake for crazy (I don't know who makes me laugh more- Franklin or The King of Mississippi).

    P.S. I LOVE Lafayette too. He's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete